What is a planogram and why is it important for retail chains?
A planogram is a schemic drawing that outlines how store shelves will be organized with products. It is an essential tool for retail chains as it helps them visually plan and optimize their store layouts. In this short video training, we will explore the concept of planograms, why they matter to retailers, and how they can impact your ability to sell your consumer product to these chains.
A planogram is essentially a visual representation of how products will be displayed on store shelves. It provides a detailed layout of where each item should be placed, taking into consideration factors such as product category, size, and brand. Retailers invest a significant amount of time and effort into designing planograms because the way products are presented directly impacts their sales and overall customer experience.
The Importance of Planograms for Retail Chains
Retail chains rely on planograms to create visually appealing and organized store displays. By carefully arranging products, retailers can enhance the shopping experience for their customers and increase sales. Here are a few reasons why planograms are important for retail chains:
- Visual Appeal: Planograms help retailers create visually appealing displays that attract customers and encourage them to make purchases. By strategically placing products and creating an aesthetically pleasing layout, retailers can create a positive shopping experience for their customers.
- Product Placement: Planograms ensure that products are placed in the most optimal locations within the store. This includes considering factors such as product category, size, and brand. By placing products in the right spots, retailers can maximize visibility and increase the likelihood of sales.
- Consistency: Planograms help maintain consistency across different store locations. By following a standardized layout, retailers can ensure that their brand image and product offerings are consistent across all stores. This consistency helps build customer trust and loyalty.
- Space Optimization: Planograms help retailers make the most efficient use of their store space. By carefully planning the placement of products, retailers can maximize the use of available shelf space and avoid overcrowding or underutilization.
- Inventory Management: Planograms also play a crucial role in inventory management. By having a clear visual representation of where each product should be placed, retailers can easily track inventory levels and ensure that shelves are always stocked with the right products.
Impact on Selling to Retail Chains
For product vendors looking to sell to retail chains, planograms can have a significant impact on their ability to secure shelf space. Here are a few ways planograms can affect your sales efforts:
- Limited Shelf Space: Retailers often have limited shelf space available for new products. If a retailer has already designed their planogram and allocated shelf space to existing products, they may not have room to add new products. This can make it challenging for vendors to get their products on the shelves.
- Seasonal Buying: Some retailers have specific buying seasons for certain product categories. They plan their planograms and purchase orders in advance, which means they may not be able to add new products outside of these seasons. This is particularly common in categories where design elements and visual appeal are crucial, such as auto accessories.
- Packaging and Visual Appeal: Planograms highlight the importance of packaging and visual appeal. Retailers want products that look good on their shelves and enhance the overall store aesthetic. If your packaging is not up to par or if your products are not visually appealing, retailers may be hesitant to work with you.
- Professionalism and Assortment Fit: Retailers are professional organizations that carefully plan their store layouts and product assortments. They want to ensure that your product fits seamlessly into their assortment and enhances their overall offering. By presenting yourself as a professional vendor and creating packaging that aligns with their brand, you increase your chances of getting your product on their shelves.
Planograms are an essential tool for retail chains as they help optimize store layouts and enhance the overall shopping experience. As a product vendor, it is important to understand the impact planograms can have on your ability to sell to retail chains. By being aware of retailers’ design processes, seasonal buying patterns, and the importance of packaging and visual appeal, you can position yourself as a valuable vendor and increase your chances of success.
If you want to learn more about creating packaging, setting up professionally, and navigating the world of retail chains, consider exploring our Advanced Retail Coaching and Training System called Retail MBA. We are here to support you in expanding your business and achieving your goals.
Here are a few other blog posts you might be interested in:
Step-by-step training on how to sell to major retailers
We explain exactly how to do that and how to get started today. I’ve taught tens of thousands of companies on how to get your products to the stores. And so we’re here to support you. Or please subscribe to our Youtube channel and or be on the lookout for additional training that we create.
We are here to expedite the process of making money with your physical products and that’s what we’re all about. Take a look at our advanced training, live events, certification programs and so much more.
In this training, I will discuss some of the things to think about when approaching a retailer to sell your products and become a vendor. Hope it helps! 🙂
Questions? Contact Us!
1-855-Retail-2 (Call or Text)
Retail MBA provides a step-by-step formula on How to Sell to Major Retailers, Online Retailers, Smaller Retailers, Catalogs and More. No Experience Required! These solutions continue to convert for clients year-over-year! These are Time-Tested and Proven Strategies that we utilize ourselves when going after stores! Everything we teach, we test. Want access to these formulas? ANY one of our programs and coaching systems gives you access to them now. With that said…
Here are 4 Easy Ways to Work with Us:
1) Free Training – If You Would Like to Join Our Next FREE Webinar Training Called “Retail Chain Store Secrets – How to Sell to Major Retail Chains. No Experience Required” Then Sign Up NOW To Learn All About Selling into Retail Chains By Clicking Here! https://www.retailmba.com
2) Masterclass Intensives – Want to Join our Next 4 Week Elite Retail MBA Masterclass Intensive? These Intensives Are EPIC for people who Love Fast Paced Learning – Homework, Retail Coaching, Developing Your Strategy, Buyers Contacts and More! These Events Are Held Every Quarter. Join us by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/masterclass
3) Done-for-You Program – If You Want Karen Waksman and Her Team to Reach Out to Your Top Dream Retail Chains On Your Behalf – And You Have a Retail-Ready Product, Check Out our Epic Done-For-You Service by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/done
4) In Person Events – If You Want to Learn LIVE and Meet Karen Waksman in Person at Our Next Retail Sellers LIVE Event with Other Like-Minded Individuals in Beautiful San Diego, CA!
We Would LOVE to Have You Join Us by Clicking Here: https://www.americasnextretailproduct.com
Thanks so much.
And…if you like this training, you will love these new short training sessions as well! Click on the links provided to watch and grow your consumer product business TODAY!