Selling to Retail – How Much Quantity Does a Chain Store Buyer Buy?
When selling to retail, people always ask me how much quantity a chain store buyer buys when selling to retail.
They are concerned with the initial orders chain stores might expect. Will the buyer expect millions of dollars worth of product?
My answer is NO!
Buyers will first test out your product at retailers. And they will increase quantity gradually. So don’t worry so much :).
In this training video, I explain how it typically works with chain store retailers. This question comes up all of the time in my workshops and classes!
To Your Success,
Founder and CEO, Retail MBA Brands
Email: info (at) RetailMBA.com
P.S. Retail MBA provides a step-by-step formula on How to Sell to Major Retailers, Online Retailers, Smaller Retailers, Catalogs and More. No Experience Required! These solutions continue to convert for clients year-over-year! These are Time-Tested and Proven Strategies that we utilize ourselves when going after stores! Everything we teach, we test. Want access to these formulas? ANY one of our programs and coaching systems gives you access to them now. With that said…
Here are 4 Easy Ways to Work with Us:
1) Free Training – If You Would Like to Join Our Next FREE Webinar Training Called “Retail Chain Store Secrets – How to Sell to Major Retail Chains. No Experience Required” Then Sign Up NOW To Learn All About Selling into Retail Chains By Clicking Here! https://www.retailmba.com
2) Masterclass Intensives – Want to Join our Next 4 Week Elite Retail MBA Masterclass Intensive? These Intensives Are EPIC for people who Love Fast Paced Learning – Homework, Retail Coaching, Developing Your Strategy, Buyers Contacts and More! These Events Are Held Every Quarter. Join us by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/masterclass
3) Done-for-You Program – If You Want Karen Waksman and Her Team to Reach Out to Your Top Dream Retail Chains On Your Behalf – And You Have a Retail-Ready Product, Check Out our Epic Done-For-You Service by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/done
4) In Person Events – If You Want to Learn LIVE and Meet Karen Waksman in Person at Our Next Retail Sellers LIVE Event with Other Like-Minded Individuals in Beautiful San Diego, CA!
We Would LOVE to Have You Join Us by Clicking Here: https://www.americasnextretailproduct.com
Transcripts for this Video Here:
Selling to Retail – How Much Quantity Does a Chain Store Buyer Buy? Hey everyone. This is Karen Waksman, founder of Retail MBA. And today’s segment, we’re going to be covering a very, very common question that comes up all the time in my workshops and classes. People always ask me, “When Selling to Retail How much quantity does a chain store buyer buy?” And a lot of you guys really want to know that because maybe you want to sell to stores, you want to get into the big chain stores, but you’re kind of freaked out because you’re not sure whether or not you can handle their kind of volume and their quantity.
So that’s a really common question and I totally get why you’d be concerned because obviously you are going to be having to create your products and be able to provide that to the retailer, so you don’t know whether or not it’s time to do that or not. So here’s how I answer this question. It’s a tough one, because every chain store is different, every product’s different. I don’t know whether or not you have the most phenomenal product in the world or a product that you’re just getting started with, but here’s something to consider.
When a chain store buyer looks at a product and they think there’s some viable interest there, that there’s products going to make them money, basically, they are going to definitely at least test your product in their store. Because they want to make sure that the product does well during this test. So they’ll probably test it in their top 50 markets or something like that or maybe less depending on the product or maybe more, top 100 stores or top 20 stores. It really depends on the chain store, how big the retailer that you’re going after is.
So one thing to consider is that they’re going to test out your product first and if your product does well during that test, then they will buy more quantities from you. So technically a chain store can buy 10,000 units, 50,000 units, 100 million units, a million units or more, if your product is amazing. And so that’s something to think about in general, but initially during the test, they’re going to start small. So they’re not going to buy huge quantities from you, could be a couple thousand pieces. I’ve had tests that are a couple hundred pieces. I mean, so it can be really, really small.
And just something to consider is that initially the first test, the first go around, will probably be much smaller. And then in the future, if your product sells, then you want to make sure that you’re able to be able to give them additional products as your product sells and you can sell them in mass. So the good news is for those of you who are freaked out about selling to chain stores, you can start out with smaller test quantities and then you can grow from there.
And there’s a lot of ways to maneuver that and have conversations with buyers and I talk about that in future segments. But it’s just something to consider that you can start out smaller with the chain stores and then grow your business there once they know whether or not your product is going to sell in their store. So don’t panic. It’s actually awesome to get a product into a store and one chain store order can change your life completely. I’ve seen it happen to companies where they can just buy so many units, but initially they will start smaller. So I hope that makes you feel a bit better.
Karen Waksman, Retail MBA, with retailmba.com, and please be on the lookout for the additional videos that I create. Thanks.
Thanks so much.
If you like this training, you will love these new short training sessions as well! Click on the links provided to watch and grow your consumer product business TODAY!
- 5 Reasons to Sell to Retail Chains! https://www.retailmba.com/how-to-get-your-product-into-stores
- Top 10 Tips for Selling into Retail Chains: https://www.retailmba.com/how-to-sell-products-to-stores
- Pitching Retail Buyers- What You Need to Know! https://www.retailmba.com/pitching-retail-buyers