Retail Samples – When to Send Them To Chain Store Buyers!
You have been trying to sell your products to chain store buyers and you are wondering if it will speed up the process if you just send them a sample. You are convinced that if the buyer just experienced your product sample, they would buy! If this sounds familiar, the following article will shed some light as to when to send a sample to a buyer.
First and foremost, I’ve received this question 100’s of times over the years, so just know that you are not alone in wondering if this is the right way to go. If you haven’t sold products to retailers for years like most retail sales professionals have then how would you know? Nobody explains this stuff.
Anyhow, here’s the short answer to the question about sending unsolicited samples to buyers – don’t bother. Let me explain…
Chain store buyers get inundated with product companies approaching them with products, all day every day. It’s just the way it goes with chain stores. And it makes sense! One chain store order can transform your business…
But here’s the deal with chain store buyers. Most don’t even open unsolicited packages and some even return the packages back to you. Why? Because it’s a weird pushy way of getting a chain store buyer to pay attention to you. Plus chain stores have so many restrictions with what a buyer can accept as a ‘gift’ or something in the mail, so sometimes it’s not even up to the buyer as to whether they get that sample or not.
So if I can give you any advice it’s that you should learn how to effectively approach and pitch chain store buyers and send a sample to the buyer when they ask. Why waste money and risk irritating the buyer when you don’t have to?
Here’s something to think about – Maybe you are not getting any response from chain store buyers because you are not pitching them right? Sometimes you are just one tweak away from getting a buyer interested in your product and ultimately getting them to buy! I would rather focus on harnessing my pitch to them then wasting time randomly sending out samples.
Now I’m sure there are a few of you who will say that this worked for you – and I’m happy to hear it! But if it were me, I wouldn’t go that route. I would focus on developing a quality relationship with that buyer based on interest and trust. And the only way I know how to do that is if the buyer actually WANTS to review my product!
Now, for those of you who believe your product will sell better if buyers had a chance to touch and feel your product, then one thing I would do is consider checking out trade shows! Buyers can stop by your booth and experience your product in person. That’s the appeal of trade shows. Yes, they cost money but buyers attend trade shows looking for new products to buy! So definitely something to consider…
Either way, I hope this article shed some light as to when to send a sample out to a chain store buyer.
To Your Success,
Founder and CEO, Retail MBA Brands
Email: info (at) RetailMBA.com
P.S. Retail MBA provides a step-by-step formula on How to Sell to Major Retailers, Online Retailers, Smaller Retailers, Catalogs and More. No Experience Required! These solutions continue to convert for clients year-over-year! These are Time-Tested and Proven Strategies that we utilize ourselves when going after stores! Everything we teach, we test. Want access to these formulas? ANY one of our programs and coaching systems gives you access to them now. With that said…
Here are 4 Easy Ways to Work with Us:
1) Free Training– If You Would Like to Join Our Next FREE Webinar Training Called “Retail Chain Store Secrets – How to Sell to Major Retail Chains. No Experience Required” Then Sign Up NOW To Learn All About Selling into Retail Chains By Clicking Here: https://www.retailmba.com/free
2) Masterclass Intensives– Want to Join our Next 4 Week Elite Retail MBA Masterclass Intensive? These Intensives Are EPIC for people who Love Fast Paced Learning – Homework, Retail Coaching, Developing Your Strategy, Buyers Contacts and More! These Events Are Held Every Quarter. Join us by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/masterclass
3) Done-for-You Program– If You Want Karen Waksman and Her Team to Reach Out to Your Top Dream Retail Chains On Your Behalf – And You Have a Retail-Ready Product, Check Out our Epic Done-For-You Service by Clicking Here: https://www.retailmbabrands.com/done
4) In Person Events– If You Want to Learn LIVE and Meet Karen Waksman in Person at Our Next Retail Sellers LIVE Event with Other Like-Minded Individuals in Beautiful San Diego, CA! We Would LOVE to Have You Join Us by Clicking Here: https://www.americasnextretailproduct.com
Thanks so much.
And…if you like this training, you will love these new short training sessions as well! Click on the links provided to watch and grow your consumer product business TODAY!
- 5 Reasons to Sell to Retail Chains! https://www.retailmba.com/how-to-get-your-product-into-stores
- Top 10 Tips for Selling into Retail Chains: https://www.retailmba.com/how-to-sell-products-to-stores
- Pitching Retail Buyers- What You Need to Know! https://www.retailmba.com/pitching-retail-buyers