Attention Women, Minority and/or Veteran-Owned Product Companies…
If you want to become an OfficeMax Supplier, then I highly recommend you participate in our life-changing contest!!
This is a FREE opportunity to submit your ‘retail ready’ product to OfficeMax for a chance to win a private meeting with a buyer at an OfficeMax Invite-Only Corporate Event in Chicago on August 22nd and 23rd, 2012!
OfficeMax has over 900 Retail Locations. They are looking for Office Products, Consumer Electronics Products, Office Furniture and any other products that OfficeMax would buy!
This program is ONLY for Women and Minority-Owned Product Companies…see below for criteria.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Create a 3-5 Minute Video About Your Product (Doesn’t have to be costly…can be created on your iPhone video recorder or something similar. The purpose of this video is just for us to get an idea of what your product is and does)
2. Video Must Include the Following Information:
- Your Product: Explanation What Your Product Does
- Key Benefits and Features of Your Product
- Packaging: Show Us What Your Packaging Looks Like in the Video
- Pricing: Wholesale Cost of Your Product and/or Your Suggested Retail Price (just give us a general idea for now)
- Why Your Product is Different, Unique and Special
- Why you think you should win this contest!
3. Post Your Video in a YouTube account
4. Copy the Link to Your YouTube Video and Post it in the Comment Section at the Bottom of this Page!
5. When Posting Your Link, Use the following format: “Hey Retail MBA, here’s my submission to your OfficeMax Buyer Meeting contest: [insert the link to your YouTube video here]”
Contest starts on July 5th, 2012 and ENDS on July 25th, 2012! So you must submit your information by midnight on July 25th, 2012!
**Winners are responsible for their own airfare/accommodations if chosen! However, if for some reason you cannot make the event, please still submit your products as there is a chance that OfficeMax will review your product. There are no guarantees but we will do our best. Event is on August 22nd and 23rd in Chicago. We will send you details as soon as we announce winners at the end of July. Also, OfficeMax ultimately makes the final decision on the winner for this contest, so they have the ability to not choose a winner. However they truly prefer to find a winner if not two! **
Please note that the purpose of these videos is for us to get a quick idea of what your product is and does. So please be respectful of the 3-5 minute length of the video. Also, we may ask you for additional information if necessary.
And Retail MBA is in no way a commissioned product scout or anything of the sort for OfficeMax and this contest. We are just trying to support product companies in their quest of getting their products into stores!
So just do your best and good luck!!!
Criteria for Women and/or Minority Owned Product Businesses
To learn more about what it means to be a Women or Minority Owned Product Company…please see criteria below! You do not need to be certified as a Women or Minority Owned Business to enter this contest. But you may be asked to get certified if OfficMax does business with you! If you’d like to learn more about certifications, click here.
Either way, here’s what the criteria is for Women and/or Minority-Owned Businesses:
Minority Owned Businesses (MBE)
- A minority-owned business is a for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, physically located in the United States or its trust territories, which is owned, operated and controlled by minority group members. “Minority group members” are United States citizens who are Asian, Black, Hispanic and Native American.
- Ownership by minority individuals means the business is at least 51% owned by such individuals or, in the case of a publicly-owned business, at least 51% of the stock is owned by one or more such individuals. Further, the management and daily operations are controlled by those minority group members.
- A minority group member is an individual who is a U.S. citizen with at least 1/4 or 25% minimum of the following:
- Asian-Indian – A U.S. citizen whose origins are from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Asian-Pacific – A U.S. citizen whose origins are from Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Thailand, Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the Northern Marianas.
- Black – A U.S. citizen having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic – A U.S. citizen of true-born Hispanic heritage, from any of the Spanish-speaking areas of the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean Basin only. Brazilians shall be listed under Hispanic designation for review and certification purposes.
- Native American – A person who is an American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian, and regarded as such by the community of which the person claims to be a part. Native Americans must be documented members of a North American tribe, band or otherwise organized group of native people who are indigenous to the continental United States and proof can be provided through a Native American Blood Degree Certificate (i.e., tribal registry letter, tribal roll register number).
- All prospective members must provide clear and documented evidence that at least 51% or more is women-owned, managed, and controlled.
- The contribution of capital and/or expertise by the woman business owner is real and substantial and in proportion to the interest owned.
- The woman business owner must direct or cause the direction of management, policy, fiscal, and operational matters.
- The woman business owner shall have the ability to perform in the area of specialty or expertise without reliance on either the finances or resources of a firm that is not owned by a woman.
To Your Success,
P.S. You might not have a product appropriate for this particular contest with OfficeMax, but your friends and acquaintances might! Spread the word and support your fellow entrepreneurs.
Either way, Retail MBA is on a mission to partner with retailers to help support you. And we are committed to continuing contests and programs such as this to help you get your products into stores. So if you’d like to be notified about future contests and programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep you posted!